Monday, August 16, 2010

Flashback: August 16, 2003

EXT. CALGARY INT. AIRPORT, AFTERNOON

The back of a 2003 Toyota Sienna is stuffed with suitcases; visible hands are holding them in place as the trunk is slammed shut.

INT. TOYOTA SIENNA, CONT'D

Mar adjusts some bags from the backseat before settling down. E, 22, bumps his head as he enters the vehicle.

E
eff.


MAR
Cheese and fries, are you ok?

E folds his hands over his chest feeling for something in his coat pocket. He answers without looking at her...

E
I'm fine.

MAR
Um...ok. (beat) Are you mad at me or something?

E
What? Why would I be mad at you?

MAR
Well we havent seen each other in like two months
and you're acting like this is the first time we've met.


E
(laughs nervously)
Technically this is the fouth time in almost a year
that we've been together, I mean how well do we
really know each other right?


Mar considers the concept while regarding him with intense skepticism.

MAR
(confused)
I don't know...


Meanwhile, five other passengers load the vehicle-AUNT JANE, 45; UNCLE ELMO, 50; EUGENE, 21; and JAKE, 18.

EXT. CALGARY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, CONTINUOUS

The two side doors roll shut and the vehicle pulls away.


INT. MIRANDA RESIDENCE, NIGHT

A typical Canadian Bungalow filled with people (including Mar's family; MOM, DAD and ANGEL) and alive with merriment -the crackling of frying food, the echoing of the kareoke machine and the obnoxious laughter of gossipers and spectators.

Mar and E are jammed into a loveseat, absent participants. Contemplating the next move of their long distance relationship.

Mar has been entertaining thoughts of the worst...

MAR
Why did you even come here? and why did you bring them?

E
Your dad said he wanted to meet my family right? So...

MAR
But you're obviously not ready for this...

E
(defensively)
Ready for what? My parents meet new people all the
time, it's not a big deal.


MAR
Ok...so it isn't a big deal then.

E lets the weight of his head drop to his chest in defeat. He gets up and takes the mic form the kareoke machine.

E
Can I have everyone's attention?

The chaos of the house quickly settles as Mar looks on unimpressed but curious.

E
(nervously)
Ok... um. (beat) Actually, can i get Mar to come
up here with me?


Mar shakes her head, E clasps his hands pleadingly. Mar finally obliges and stands next to E. He looks at her first before physically adjusting her to be in front of him. She tilts her head, suspicious. He gets down on his knee and the house guests all squeal in anticipation. E manages to clumsily get out his ring box while balancing the mic between his shoulder and jaw.

E
Mar?

MOM
(frantic)
Wait!! Let me get the mic stand.

She disappears for a moment as Mar stands awkwardly and E kneels in silence, before reproducing a mic stand.

MOM
(clapping)
Ok go!!

E takes a deep breath and mumbles...
E
(inaudible)
Will you marry me, Mar?

AUNT JANE
Louder, son! I can't hear you!

The crowd laughs and E humors his mother as he talks into the mic.

E
Will you marry me, Mar?

MAR
Um...yeah...

CROWD
Louder!

MAR
I said yes!

Crowd cheers and everyone comes in for congratulatory hugs.

AUNT JANE
(to Mar)
Congratulations, Mar! Did you suspect it?

MAR
No, Auntie! I thought he was gonna break up with me,
he was being so weird.

AUNT JANE
Don't be ridiculous...you call me momma from now on, ok?

Mar nods.

*****
This began (what skeptics would call) my 'premature' journey into becoming someone's wife. I was nineteen when it happened and til this day one of the best decisions I've made in my life was agreeing to marry my EJ. If you don't know him, well, this guy pretty much can make something out of nothing -he's a true artist; making things from scratch, creating beauty from imagination. He's one of my inspirations, he's a true testament of how good and generous God can be when it comes to allowing for your dreams to come true. I've watched him make his way, switching gears violently/purposely from a 'job' in accounting to a 'career' in graphic design. If it can happen for him, who's to say it can't for me?

Glad I said "um...yeah" that day and I'm glad you're in my life, sir. Continue to reach for the stars so -as I hang on to your modern fit coattail -some of that star dust may shower down on me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment